***Photo Courtesy of Lee Lilly via Flickr***
This Facebook trick has been around a while, but not many people (at least not the people I know) are using it. Most likely, because they’re not even aware they can, or if they’ve notice other folks doing it, they’re not really sure how.
Tagging other Pages from your Facebook Business Page wall is a great way to recognize friends, other brands, etc by giving a live link to their page in the body of your wall posts. It’s a win-win situation, and a great co-promotional tool when dealing w/biz partners & sponsorships, because you also end up having your post appear on their wall too. Depending on how many fans that page has, this is potentially great visibility for you as well.
Before I move on to the “How” portion of this post, I feel I need to be responsible and give you a quick list of ettiquette when tagging other pages:
- 1) NO SPAM: No self promotion, unless the admin of the tagged wall has encouraged or asked you to do so.
- 2) DON’T BE RUDE: Don’t say anything you know they wouldn’t want you to say in front of their friends/fans
- 3) DO GIVE CREDIT & PRAISE them for giving you something of quality to share with your fans (do it in the body of the wall post you are tagging them in!)
- 4) USE SELECTIVELY the way you would give a precious gift, or dole out a sincere compliment. If you start flooding people’s walls with tags, they will stop liking you and your brand. I promise. AND you’ll be breaking Rule #1 above. Double-whammy!
(A #5 would really round this out & I’m sure I’m forgetting something…if anyone wants to chime in with other key “rules”, feel free…comment below!)
Okay, feeling like you can follow thees basic “rules”? Then read on…
How to tag other pages & people on your Facebook Business Page’s Wall
(Pssst…this works on your personal wall too…)
We are going to use my client, Yukon Charlie’s as the “you” example…
1) Make sure you click “Use Facebook as Yukon Charlie’s (aka Your page)”
2) If you’re not sure whether your page already “Likes” the page you are going to tag, hop over there quickly just to be sure. If the “Like” button shows up at the top of the page, you need to click it.
IMPORTANT, if your page doesn’t “like” the brand you’re hoping to mention, #’s 3 & 4 will not work.
3) Go back to your wall (since you’re using Facebook as your page, you can just hit the “Profile” button on top right.)
4) Start typing your wall post. When you get to where you want to use the other page’s name, type the @ symbol immediately in front of it. (ie @snowshoemag…). Before you finish typing the name, a drop down will appear with their page’s, name (along with any other pages your page “Likes” that start with the same letters).
5) Click on the page you want to tag/mention & their name will fill in with blue highlight over it.
4) finish typing your note, and add the link you are interested in sharing by pasting the full URL into the body of your wall note. Done. When posted, the page you are tagging will be blue & will provide a live link to that page.
BONUS: if you click over to their page (and if they are allowing all posts to show-as opposed to just their own), you will see your post there as well!
Here’s an example:
Because of the tags in this post, it also showed up on Snowshoe Magazine’s page, and also provided a live link to their page for anyone visiting Yukon Charlie’s on Facebook. See! A win/win.
Now, go out, follow the rules, and start tagging!
Disclaimer: This is merely a how-to article. If you are following all of the steps above and are still not able to tag pages, you are likely facing a Facebook bug. For issues getting your tagging to work, please visit http://www.facebook.com/help/.